new xcode build system and build failures

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Oct 1 20:00:15 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-01 16:53, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 09:00, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> To force Xcode10 to use the old build system (as it did before) add this flag to the xcodebuild args. Some ports need this in both the build and destroot args (aquaterm), others pass it in a different way (macvim).
>>
>> UseNewBuildSystem=NO
>>

> It seems like we should add support for this flag to the xcode portgroup via a new option.

We could make -UseNewBuildSystem=NO the default for Xcode == 10 in the
port group for now, as the new build system just does not seem stable
enough just yet.

However, I think it is likely that this flag will be going away later in
Xcode >= 11. So I guess we also need to get it working with the new
build system.

We need to identify the exact problems and file as many duplicate radars
as possible. It feels like this is the only way to get someone at Apple
to look into this...

One of the bugs with most impact seems to be that it always uses the
user home from Directory Service and does not respect $HOME in the
environment. The build system want to place
~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ there, but our sandbox prevents
that. This seems to be the cause of many failed builds related to Xcode,
as far as I could see in reported tickets.

This issue is already tracked here:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57137

Some examples:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57170 (MacVim)