OT: Apple 64-bit changes

Mark Anderson emer at emer.net
Sun Oct 21 16:57:35 UTC 2018

When I run a 32 bit command line app, I get the popup warning that this
“Isn’t optimized for my Mac”. It’s kind of annoying that they’re removing
the possibility when things like wine really need a 32bit space since
Windows is no where near as far along on 32->64 bit. I hope they’re
planning to spin up hypervisor.framrwork or something to fix that.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 6:54 AM Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks. So – what does that mean for a command line application? Or does
> it make any difference at all?
>
> --
> Randolph M. Fritz || +1 206 659-8617 || rmfritz3 at gmail.com
>

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:18 AM Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> It is correct but has nothing really to do with the specific changes in
>> macOS 10.14. The macOS has been 64 bit for a long time now.
>>
>> Mojave depreciates the running of 32 bit applications, and removes the
>> ability to build them, using the 10.14 SDK.
>>
>> On 19 Oct 2018, at 10:14 pm, Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Here's a very old list from Apple; anyone care to say if it is still
>> correct?
>>

>> https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/transition/transition.html
>> --
>> Randolph M. Fritz || +1 206 659-8617 || rmfritz3 at gmail.com
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Randolph M. Fritz <rmfritz3 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am unable to find anything from Apple on the specific changes that
>>> have been made to command line app compilation in Mojave.
>>>
>>> I think what has been done is that /usr/include has been moved, and
>>> longs and pointers are now 64 bits. Do I have that right?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Randolph M. Fritz
>>>
>> --
Sent from Gmail Mobile on iPhone