OT: Apple 64-bit changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 04:13:40 UTC 2018

On Oct 21, 2018, at 11:57, Mark Anderson wrote:

> When I run a 32 bit command line app, I get the popup warning that this “Isn’t optimized for my Mac”.

You will get that popup when you run *any* 32-bit app.

> It’s kind of annoying that they’re removing the possibility when things like wine really need a 32bit space since Windows is no where near as far along on 32->64 bit.

Apple appears not to care.

> I hope they’re planning to spin up hypervisor.framrwork or something to fix that.

It depends who you mean by "they". If you mean Apple, then no; they are clearly moving the Mac along a path of removing 32-bit support. On the other hand, CodeWeavers, one of the developers of Wine, has been working on a way to continue to run 32-bit Windows apps in Wine on macOS even after Apple removes the ability to run 32-bit programs. I do not know the specifics of how they plan to accomplish this.