Issues with clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &wait) pre macOS 10.13

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:35:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-23, at 8:18 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

>> We have worked around this in a number of ports so far, and turned off some functionality in others.
>> I use the_silver_searcher to find stuff like this, for example in the macports-ports repo:
>> ag -i clock_gettime .
>
> Sorry, I don't follow the reference to the_silver_searcher or what the 'ag' command above is supposed to be (I don't have it).
>
> Anyway, I guess I was not precise enough. Yes, I already have noted a number of ports in the repo have patches to work around this. What I was hoping for was a way to fix this *without* have to patch or touch the port at all. Something like updating snowleopardfixes to add whatever is needed so that ports automatically find the required implementation and use it, transparently.
>
> Chris

the_silver_searcher is one great tool. I probably use it every day in one way or another. it's a port, you can install it. Highly recommended by me.

I think extending snowleopard_fixes is a fine idea.

I have been pondering a good way to make it add the header definition properly ( ? use specific headers such as string.h injected ahead of the system search directory and "include_next", perhaps?) and also possibly to make each definition selectable, or at least OS-version groups blocked off with guards.

BTW, here is a nice clock_gettime() replacement that Jeremy wrote up:

<https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/graphics/cogl/files/patch-clock_gettime.diff>

Ken