forcing 10.12 or 10.13 builds onto 10.14 for 32bit fix?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Oct 29 19:13:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 07:15, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> I notice homebrew is forcing the installation of binaries built on their 10.12 or 10.13 builders onto 10.14 to get around the 32bit build problem on 10.14.
>
> I don't believe there is any way to force our binary installer to install older system builds in the same way -- but if there was, it would grant us a reprieve for a year for the 32bit issue.
>
> So I thought I'd ask if anyone can imagine how this might be done.

I really like Ryan's approach:
    https://github.com/ryandesign/macports-ports/blob/MacOSX.sdk/devel/MacOSX.sdk/Portfile
    https://github.com/ryandesign/macports-base/commits/MacOSX.sdk

... as long as this makes it into MacPorts FAST. If we keep delaying
these changes for two more years, they will no longer make any sense.

That said, I would like it if MacPorts had somewhat better support for
compiling binaries targeting older OSes on newer ones, ... and if we
occasionally allowed fetching binaries meant for an older system to a
newer one. In case of Wine this is a can of worms to some extent since
wine has a huge dependency list, and all of those would need to come
from 10.13. If it was just wine itself, it would be an easier task.

I don't know how HB is doing it, but they could easily afford to
install multiple libraries in parallel, and only use the ("hidden")
32-bit library built on 10.13 of X for Wine, while keeping using the
64-bit library built on 10.14 for everything else.

Mojca