Which release supported installation destinations?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Sep 14 04:18:48 UTC 2018

On 2018-9-14 13:49 , George Plymale II wrote:
> Also, I'm curious. You said that I'll lose the ability to get binary
> packages. Which element of this setup causes compilation to become
> necessary: a source-based installation or running MacPorts in a
> non-standard prefix?

The prefix. Our binary archives are built for the default prefix
/opt/local and simply extracting them somewhere else often (usually?)
won't work. That's not because of anything MacPorts does, but just
because software that is not carefully constructed to be relocatable
will have installation paths "baked in" in many places.

- Josh