GSoC 2019 [Buildbot ideas]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Apr 1 15:16:16 UTC 2019

Dear Pierre,

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 17:06, Pierre Tardy wrote:

> In buildbot, there is no difference between author and commiter, we only
> keep the author.
> Do you think committer info is really needed?

This has nothing to do with the project proposal at hand, but yes, this
would be super useful for us (and we already spent some time in the past
trying to extract that information, although we didn't insist hard enough;
i.e. nobody was motivated enough to persist until the solution would be
implemented).

We want to send out emails whenever a build fails. We want to notify both
the person maintaining the port (we have some ugly code that extracts that
information) as well as the person(s) who committed the change. In the time
of subversion this was straightforward. Only the committer was allowed to
make any changes and they would get an email notification about the failed
build. With git, I can hit the "Merge" button on the pull request, but as a
committer (and not the author) I don't get any notification when the build
fails any longer. The author of the commit will get an email, but he
usually doesn't have commit rights to be able to quickly fix the
consequences of a potentially broken commit.

Mojca

(I admit that at this very moment this is somewhat moot because there is a
problem somewhere in the mail configuration, so we don't get any email
notifications at all.)