GSoC Proposal

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Apr 6 13:08:09 UTC 2019

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 04:06, Cyril Roelandt wrote:

> Upt gives you three kinds of dependencies: build, runtime and test. This
> should be done in the backend.

MacPorts also splits "runtime" dependencies into two types. One are
proper runtime dependencies (not needed for building the package
itself), and others are needed all the time (say, libpng): both during
build and while running the software.

This allows optimisation to the extent that the package builder
doesn't really need to install that dependency when creating the
binaries.

> > 5) please add "supported_archs     noarch” after “platforms"; since there are no architecture dependent files installed (as is often the case for Python scripts)
>
> This could probably be added to the backend as well!

However it might be non-trivial to figure it out whether a python
module needs to build some sources or not.
Figuring this out might be a standalone task on its own (I'm not
saying that this would take the full summer to implement, but it's
certainly not five minutes work). The question there is whether the
installed files depend on architecture (x86_64 vs. i386 etc.) or if a
package is installing just plain text files.

Mojca