Fwd: Wish to contribute to MacPorts as part of GSoC

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Tue Apr 9 13:15:07 UTC 2019

Hi Shreyas,

While I believe you have a good set of skills, it may be a bit too late if
you want to participate in GSoC with us. But we definitely welcome all
kinds of contribution outside GSoC and the program is going to be there
next year as well. Contributors are definitely given higher preference.

Our criteria for selection involves a strong proposal and a demo of the
student's skill set by either raising a PR to the existing code base or PoC
implementations of any idea you are proposing. This is for the mentors to
be confident about a student being productive as soon as the coding period
starts.

Nonetheless, I'd advise you to go through the March and April archives of
this mailing list [1], as there's an abundance of information available on
almost all the "hot" projects and problems MacPorts is facing.

To answer your questions, I don't think we have any idea "similar" to
collect-build-statistics but if you meant similar to a web application,
others on the list are more suitable to answer. I am not sure what you
meant by improvements to the previous collect-build-statistics project
either. We do not have any implementation until now.

(Also, please keep your emails on the mailing list to get responses quicker
and from the wider community. Subscribe if you haven't already.)

[1]: https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/

- Umesh