GSoC 2019 [Buildbot ideas]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Apr 16 07:34:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 09:12, Rajdeep Bharati wrote:

> Hello,
> For testing a new Portfile in my local repository, the Macports guide says that I need to edit the sources.conf file. However, this file is locked and I'm not able to unlock it.

Did you try with root privileges?

I don't know what editor you used, but
   sudo vim /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
(or some other editor of your choice) should work.

If I open the file with TextMate and modify & change it, I get a
prompt to enter the password and then I can save the file.

(The best way is probably to clone the full macports-ports repository
and point sources.conf to your clone. Or at least that's what I do.
You need to make sure to generate the PortIndex in any case.)

> Also, do I need to have a distfile and/or tarball to generate checksum.

The easiest way is to comment out the (existing) checksums and simply run
    sudo port -v checksum <portname>
or
    sudo port -v extract <portname>
and then you'll get the checksums printed, so that you can copy-paste
them. (If upstream publishes some checksums, it might be nice to
double-check, but I admit that I hardly ever do that myself.)

You may leave <portname> out if you are in directory where the portfile lives.

> For the buidbot Portfile, would it be better to create a diff patch (ignoring the npm dependencies ATM).

By far the easiest way to continue (get code review, feedback, request
for further changes, run automated tests etc.) is to create a pull
request to macports-ports repository. If the patch is not yet ready
and you just want the initial feedback, you can also open pull request
as a draft.

The port without npm dependencies is a good start.

Mojca