[off-topic] remove app association from file extension

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Sat Apr 20 23:51:59 UTC 2019

On 4/20/2019 3:55 PM, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On 2019-04-20 02:19, Nils Breunese wrote:
>> I haven’t tried it, but Google brought me to a StackExchange post saying you can use RCDefaultApp, or use /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister directly:
>
> Yes, I have tried both before I sent my first post. Both do not work on 10.13
> and 10.14.
>
> That's why I wrote in my original post: "the results I get back from search
> engines point to outdated, non-working hacks".
> I have spent probably 6 hours researching this topic and tried many, many things.
>
> Cheers,
>    K. C.

Hi K. C.,

While I unfortunately do not have a solution to your issue, I would say
that Ask Different (apple.stackexchange.com) is still potentially a
better venue to ask about this kind of problem, even if just in the form
of posting a new question explaining which old answers you've tried and
found no longer work on specific recent versions of macOS. That site is
likely seen by far more people than this mailing list is, so not only do
I think it is more likely to receive a solution there, but the solution
will in turn reach a much larger audience and benefit more people out
there with the same question.

Maybe the same can be said of discussions.apple.com, too.

Hope this helps

Christopher A. Chavez