10.7 buildbot disk space issues

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 14 22:40:23 UTC 2019

> On 14 Aug 2019, at 11:30 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 08:28, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>>> As you can see from the cleanup step's output, there was 21GiB of space available when the build failed.
>>>
>>> https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.7_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/108375/steps/cleanup/logs/stdio
>>>
>>> How much free space does it need?
>>
>> I guess more than that…
>
> It looks like gcc9 did in the mean time build on that builder.

yeah, I triggered a rebuild to try again, and it worked that time.

> I've previously used Grand Perspective to examine the disk space usage of the build machines and didn't see anything big, but it turns out Grand Perspective doesn't include items whose names begin with a period, and that's where the problem was: the .Spotlight-V100 directory on the 10.7 builder was 36GiB the first time I looked and 26GiB the second time I looked, and on the 10.8 builder it was 16GiB. I've deleted the Spotlight indexes on all the builders and hopefully when they're done rebuilding they'll be smaller.

I wouldn’t use applications like that for this sort of thing, for that very reason. Then tend to try and be just a bit too clever for my tastes.

In the end, I tend to just rely on good old dumb ‘df -h’ …

> Maybe I should just exclude /opt/local and /Applications/MacPorts from the Spotlight indexes on the builders, but I wasn't sure if that would have some undesirable effect on some build system (Xcode?) that might use Spotlight to find something?

I guess given how frequently the data in these locations change, that’s part of the problem. The systems must be having to re-index all the time….

I cannot see what excluding these locations would break. I am sure there are some that already do this themselves. I have in the past (not right now, for reasons I forget but for sure not related to anything in MP breaking because of it.

Chris