Retiring ports.php

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Aug 15 14:16:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-8-15 23:58 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 15:27, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>> I think ports.macports.org is already clearly superior to ports.php, so
>> we should change the Available Ports link to point there. However, we
>> should not remove ports.php so as not to break existing links. I think
>> we should make ports.php queries redirect to the corresponding p.m.o URL
>> when possible (it won't always be possible since ports.php lets you
>> search more fields).
>
> What about specifying what is still missing and adding that
> functionality to the new app?

Sure, that would be even better, but presumably takes time. :)

>From a little testing, ports.php lets you search by platforms (not that
useful TBH), and tries to let you search by license, but it doesn't
actually work.

>> Thoughts?
>
> I would definitely like to get a clear visible link to the main
> website, as well as some post to macports-users and macports-announce.
> Potentially we could even keep both sites for a little while. But what
> would also be nice to do is some ability to back-link to the main
> website from ports. Do we have someone with clear suggestions about
> the landing page of ports.macports.org?

Yes, there should definitely be at least a link back to www.macports.org
from ports.macports.org. ML posts can be done too but are not blocking
website changes. :)

>     https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/issues/47
>
> ports.php is simply part of the main page, so it's easy to keep
> navigating to other parts of the site; we would need to add something
> to the new app as well. Some kind of top / global menu, and definitely
> improving the landing page.

Yes, that would be nice too. I still think it's better than ports.php
even as-is though.

- Josh