Retiring ports.php

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Aug 15 14:45:11 UTC 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 16:16, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2019-8-15 23:58 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 15:27, Joshua Root wrote:
> >>
> >> I think ports.macports.org is already clearly superior to ports.php, so
> >> we should change the Available Ports link to point there. However, we
> >> should not remove ports.php so as not to break existing links. I think
> >> we should make ports.php queries redirect to the corresponding p.m.o URL
> >> when possible (it won't always be possible since ports.php lets you
> >> search more fields).
> >
> > What about specifying what is still missing and adding that
> > functionality to the new app?
>
> Sure, that would be even better, but presumably takes time. :)
>
> From a little testing, ports.php lets you search by platforms (not that
> useful TBH), and tries to let you search by license, but it doesn't
> actually work.

I think that during early discussions I explicitly suggested to more
or less ignore the platform as it's pretty useless :)
Searching on the licence field could be doable, even if a bit tricky
to get right with these and/or expressions (you cannot do direct
matching on the full string).

I guess we first need to fix the and/or display anyway. We could
perhaps store this as binary json and then do searching on binary json
for the matching? I have somewhat mixed feelings about whether this is
worth spending time on.

What I would like to really see with respect to licencing is the info
about whether the port is distributable (at least on the latest OS).
But I guess this info would best be coded in portindex.json, but
generating that info might take a lot of time at the moment.

> Yes, there should definitely be at least a link back to www.macports.org
> from ports.macports.org.

This should be straightforward to add (even if I would still prefer
some proper & nice solution to some quick hack).

> ML posts can be done too but are not blocking
> website changes. :)

Definitely.

> >     https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/issues/47
> >
> > ports.php is simply part of the main page, so it's easy to keep
> > navigating to other parts of the site; we would need to add something
> > to the new app as well. Some kind of top / global menu, and definitely
> > improving the landing page.
>
> Yes, that would be nice too. I still think it's better than ports.php
> even as-is though.

Sure.

Mojca