"make[1]: execvp: printf: Argument list too long"

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 08:49:02 UTC 2019

Hi,

I ran into another issue with the potentially inordinately long `portbuildpath` names, and started thinking of ways to avoid hitting a hard limit on the argument length list, using a unique shortened version of `portpath`:

1) if the traditional `portbuildpath` already exists, use that
2) otherwise, calculate a unique hash of ${portpath} and use that as the parent for the `work` directory instead of `subst '/' _ ${portpath}`

I'm not necessarily proposing that as a change in "base", but would like to try it locally (it sure should beat redefining this information from inside a Portfile...).

Where would I implement 1) and 2), and what functions does Tcl have to calculate a useful hash or unique shortened version of a generic string? There's no `string hash` function as far as I've seen.

Thanks,
R.