[MacPorts] #58848: Error: Failed to build rust: command execution failed

Dmitri Zaitsev zaitsev at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 20 07:19:53 UTC 2019

> > 1. As I did not change anything on my system, why did all the files
> download correctly this time but not the last time?
>
> Most likely the files were successfully fetched via one of the
> macports mirror this time, while last time you tried:
> - the file was not mirrored yet (at the location from where you tried
> to fetch it)
> - fetching from the original site failed because of SSL issues (you
> would need to install two instances of macports; an auxiliary one at
> some non-standard prefix; and the real one at the default prefix, and
> configure that one to use curl from the auxiliary installation).
>
> I didn't check the evidence, but I strongly believe that was the case.
> So nothing unusual.

Just trying to understand it better, does it mean when I attempted to
access those file, their mirroring had been initiated but it took many
hours before the completion? Is it documented somewhere?

I have built another copy of macports from source in /opt/macports-test, is
there any way I can test it against some SSL limiting site?

> It could be that switching to the latest compiler would help. You can
> try building with
>     sudo port -v build rust configure.compiler=macports-clang-7.0
> or something like that (I'm not 100% sure if the command is exactly
> right as I'm not behind my mac right now).
>
> But that won't give you any guarantee that the build would succeed.
> You might need to ask upstream for help (if they will bother
> supporting old systems, that is) or try to investigate yourself. There
> is a small number of developers still having access and bothering
> about older OSes, while the majority is on newer ones. If you are
> using an OS, it probably helps if you are willing to have a bit more
> patience and try to learn and investigate failures. In particular when
> upstream drops support for older platforms, you may need to work with
> them to bring that support back.

That is a good advice, thanks.

Cheers,
Dmitri.