Universal packaging tool (for pypi, cpan, ruby, ...)

Cyril Roelandt cyril.roelandt at aquilenet.fr
Mon Feb 18 18:59:46 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-13 23:26, Rainer Müller wrote:
> (...)
>
> This is a great initiative. One of our problems has always been that
> these tools kind of need to be written in the native language of the
> upstream package (Python, Perl, ...), because that is the only language
> with bindings to parse the package specfications. Unifying this with the
> frontend/backend approach sounds like a good idea.

Nice to hear! Feel free to try out upt. It should even be able to
package itself, which should make it easy to include it in your ports
tree :)

> (...)
>
> I think external libraries would be specified in the ext_modules=[]
> argument that is passed to setup(), where each Extension can list
> external libraries for linking.
>
> https://docs.python.org/3.6/extending/building.html#building-c-and-c-extensions-with-distutils
>
> Of course, the package(s) actually providing the shared library may be
> different depending on the downstream distribution...

Yes, but some external dependencies are never specified, if I'm not
mistaken. For instance, the pbr package depends on the "git" binary, and
I do not think there is any easy way to know that. My tool (just like
all other tools) can only gather data provided by the frontends, which
is not always enough.

Regards,
Cyril