[MacPorts] #58729: legacy-support missing futimens() (and utimensat)

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 16 17:37:19 UTC 2019

> On 16 Jul 2019, at 6:15 pm, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday July 16 2019 15:42:49 MacPorts wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we might consider a "best approximation" so that software builds
>> at least, and works as best the OS can support. I am thinking that is (or
>
> AFAIK this is the main goal here. And one can cause a compiler warning to be raised each time an emulation is used that doesn't necessarily achieve the same effect.

Of course we could add a warning… and also it will be completely unseen by anyone unless they happen to enable verbose builds…. So whilst that might seen to help, in practise its useless.

> The case I ran into used futimens to set timestamps with µsec granularity. Why it would would do that with futimens is beyond me, but here at least there is no question about the ultimate effect.

Then a bug report should be sent upstream pointing this out…

> And IMHO that question is moot on Mac filesystems that don't support nsec resolution; it would make sense to decrease the precision on those.

Unless of course the usage really really needs nsec precision, for whatever unknown reason…. In that case the only reasonable (safe) option is to do nothing I would say.

Chris