Slack-like chat (also for GSOC)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Jun 15 11:59:34 UTC 2019

On 14.06.19 11:10, Chris Jones wrote:
> ( The main problem I have, is not something specific to Riot or whatever
> forum we use, but more we need to perhaps give some thought to the
> channels. Currently there is really only one, which gets (some) chat but
> also messages for each and every commit. I don't think the average user
> needs to see each and every commit. I think we probably need to split
> these, for instance into Dev and User channels, to match the mailing
> lists perhaps. )

I would be afraid that by removing the development discussions, the
channel would appear mostly dead. The traffic is already quite low.

If at all, I would keep #macports as user channel and create another
#macports-dev for deeper discussions of internals.

However, development discussions happen rarely and are usually started
by something that would rather be categorized as a user question. Which
means we would have to force ourselves to move the discussion to another
channel as soon as it gets to a development topic...

Rainer