Slack-like chat (also for GSOC)

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Sat Jun 15 12:14:50 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> On 14.06.19 13:01, Nils Breunese wrote:
> >
> > Chris jones wrote:
> >
> >> ( The main problem I have, is not something specific to Riot or whatever forum we use, but more we need to perhaps give some thought to the channels. Currently there is really only one, which gets (some) chat but also messages for each and every commit. I don't think the average user needs to see each and every commit. I think we probably need to split these, for instance into Dev and User channels, to match the mailing lists perhaps. )
> >
> > I’d go even more granular: create a dedicated channel for commits and everyone can decide whether to follow that or not.
> I am not sure how useful such a dedicated channel would be if only
> automated messages will be posted and no discussion takes place.
> Sometimes the mplog messages are even used during conversations, like
> "see this commit, now it is fixed".
>
> For those that really do not want to see these messages, I would
> recommend to add mplog to their your ignore list. That works in IRC
> clients and also in Riot.
>
> The bot is operated by me, but if others also think that the bot is
> annoying, I do not insist on keeping it running or moving it to another
> channel.

I like the mplog on #macports. If someone doesn't like it, I would say
they put it in their ignore list.

IIRC, we did try to create a separate channel for #macports-gsoc but
then after some time we ended up in #macports, because there were more
users out their who could and would like to share ideas.

Splitting of channels, IMHO, might not be a good idea. It works fine
as a separate Mailing list, but maybe not on IRC.

I do agree, that one might get lost in all the chatter that might
happen all at one place, but yeah that is same in most of the
platforms, at least the ones that I have used. I do like the idea of
threads (in slack), maybe we need to look if they are in some
libre/open-source alternative ?

--
Jackson Isaac