Slack-like chat (also for GSOC)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Jun 15 12:03:41 UTC 2019

On 14.06.19 13:01, Nils Breunese wrote:

> Chris jones wrote:
>
>> ( The main problem I have, is not something specific to Riot or whatever forum we use, but more we need to perhaps give some thought to the channels. Currently there is really only one, which gets (some) chat but also messages for each and every commit. I don't think the average user needs to see each and every commit. I think we probably need to split these, for instance into Dev and User channels, to match the mailing lists perhaps. )
>
> I’d go even more granular: create a dedicated channel for commits and everyone can decide whether to follow that or not.
I am not sure how useful such a dedicated channel would be if only
automated messages will be posted and no discussion takes place.
Sometimes the mplog messages are even used during conversations, like
"see this commit, now it is fixed".

For those that really do not want to see these messages, I would
recommend to add mplog to their your ignore list. That works in IRC
clients and also in Riot.

The bot is operated by me, but if others also think that the bot is
annoying, I do not insist on keeping it running or moving it to another
channel.

Rainer