GSoC 2019

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Mar 6 20:52:12 UTC 2019

Dear Arjun,

Welcome to MacPorts!

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 21:05, Arjun Salyan via macports-dev wrote:

> Hello,
> I am Arjun Salyan, a GSoC'19 aspirant. I have familiarised myself with MacPorts, but still there is a way to go on with the documentation, and learning tcl.
>
> I am quite experienced in web and app development- with multiple Python(Django) and PHP projects having worked for a company. I am looking to club my previous skillset with all what I am learning right now about MacPorts.
>
> In suggested ideas and from mails, I do see 'a Django App', 'Django App to collect statistics'..... I can work on these ideas further-

If you are interested in this idea, you should check
    https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/tree/master/docs
as well as look at the archives of this mailing list from the last
summer (there might have been about a hundred emails about this
particular topic).

A student abandoned that GSOC project last year, but there is a lot of
useful information and explanations available.

> and in addition I can also take up tasks like improving/ redesigning the website, documentation and 'Available Ports' page can be made much more interactive and easy to find ports.

Available ports would by design be part of the django app, and design
is well related. It's of course more important to have a working app
et the end of the summer with ugly design than perfect design and
defunct app :), but doing a good design for the app could be the first
step towards a better website. I leave it up to you to come up with
suggestions about design if you would like to contribute in that area
(I cannot be of any help there :).

> Will planning a proposal on such ideas be good, or I shall work more towards the macports_base?

You should work on whatever you are more passionate about. It makes a
lot less sense to be forced to work on something you are not so
interested in, since that would be less fun and lead to worse results.
This applies to both selecting the most suitable org, as well as to
selecting a suitable task within that org.

(Our only limitation is that we don't want two students to work on the
same project. It is still too early to know what others might be
interested in, but you should be able to figure that out also by
following the mailing list conversations.)

> Any suggestions on how independent apps can be used to contribute to macports would be very helpful.

What exactly is your question?

In case of Django app, I would be co-mentoring, I just wanted to
mention that I'll be travelling until the 24th, so I won't have access
to internet connection (or rather: a comfortable keyboard to type on)
on regular basis, but I believe that others should be able to answer
your requests in the meantime.

Mojca