GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Mar 9 12:55:53 UTC 2019

On 2019-3-9 22:55 , Saagar Jha wrote:

> FWIW, while I am not opposed to MacPorts adding clearly communicated,
> opt-in, self-hosted analytics; I would be /very/ strongly against doing
> this if any of these conditions was not met. Doubly so if the initial
> discussion to do this is made without users being able to provide input,
> triply if the feature stays largely unchanged even when users complain,
> and quadruply if this discussion is forcefully closed, unresolved,
> because “the feature has already shipped”.

Yes, gathering of this data needs to remain strictly opt-in, and using
something like Google Analytics would be a whole new rabbit hole of
issues that we don't want.

It's already easy enough for users to participate by installing mpstats;
the missing piece is advertising its existence and suggesting that users
install it. The only reason we're not doing that is that the stats
system still needs work.

- Josh