GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Thu Mar 14 06:19:38 UTC 2019

Hi Arjun

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:22 PM Arjun Salyan via macports-dev <
macports-dev at lists.macports.org> wrote:

> As suggested, I have made an attempt at a basic demo app:
> https://frozen-falls-98471.herokuapp.com
>
> Please review it and let me know if this seems fine. After applying any
> further inputs, I shall proceed with the documentation to setting it up.

This looks great for the first attempt. It would be great if you could
share the details on the flow of data (from portindex to html views), and
how you would extend it to incorporate mpstats output later.

> It is not completely static. The port information is fetched from database
> and is not hard-coded. What I did was to clone macports-ports, and used
> portindex2json.tcl to populate the database. However, the format of the
> json outputted by portindex2json could not be directly loaded into the
> database. I had to manually make it in the format of fixtures accepted by
> Django (and that is why only few ports are available), which means that
> portindex2json would also require some modification.

There are some known issues with portindex2json output, possibly related to
quotations, or strings and lists. Can you paste here the issues you ran
into? This seems like a priority to me.

> The build history is hard-coded. Also I need suggestions here- what info
> is most important to be displayed on the port info page. For now, I could
> only figure out to show build history for different os. Am I doing it
> correctly?

Apart from build stats, a link to a port's portfile on Github, dependencies
(with versions), or status of the build (on each OS?) will be helpful. It
would be better if the categories are clickable, which shows me the list of
ports belonging to that category (like a filter) but not for now. Better
parsing of maintainers will be useful too.

Also, the OS filter seems to be not working, probably there's no data but
on selecting 10.13 for AppHack, it still showed base-10.14_x86_64.

> The installation statistics, which currently run independently would also
> be integrated with port-info in the new app.
>
> Also, I have used bootstrap for this demo app, is that fine or we need to
> go with something more powerful like angular or react.

Bootstrap is fine as long as we are leveraging Django's jinja templating
and there's no need to expose APIs.

Umesh