GSoC 2019 [Buildbot ideas]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Mar 18 08:41:21 UTC 2019

Dear Rajdeep,

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 at 19:55, Rajdeep Bharat wrote:

> Hello, I am Rajdeep, a GSoC aspirant.
> I was going through the Buildbot views project and had a few doubts:
> - Do I need to work on the dashboards SPA of buildbots (https://github.com/buildbot/guanlecoja-ui) and rewrite it using a modern library like React?
> - I have read this ticket: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55978. Do I have to implement them separately in a MacPorts repository of buildbot, or do it in upstream directly?
>
> I am familiarizing myself with the buildbot codebase and would love to start contributing.
> Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?

Thank you very much for reaching to us. I still owe you the response
to the earlier email, but let's start with this one.

The "buildbot idea" would be (co)mentored by someone from the Buildbot
development team for the technical part ("How to do it?"), while the
MacPorts mentor would help to steer towards the desired goal ("What to
do?").

So I would like to ask Pierre to explain the technical part in more details.

(Pierre, how does the unfinished Coffeescript to Typescript conversion
of the core affect designing new views and their "future-proof-ness"?)

What I want to say from the MacPorts point of view is that what mainly
kept us from switching to buildbot version beyond 0.8.x was a less
user-friendly waterfall view. We kept postponing the switch since the
time the buildbot was still at version 0.9.x. Now it's already at 2.x,
and it would be about a high time that we do the upgrade. The existing
buildbot setup was written in cca. 3 days during our in-person
developer meeting in 2016, and then slightly improved over time.

The changes would be added wherever it makes the most sense. If
there's some view that's specific to MacPorts, we would keep it
locally, while any other change that's considered useful for any
buildbot user would best be pushed to their own repository (and
reviewed by the buildbot development team).

I wanted to add that this project is well related to the "collection
of build statistics" idea. I will elaborate on this later, but we
definitely need changes in the buildbot configuration to make it
easier for our (hopefully) future web application to talk to the
buildbot master.

Mojca

Mojca