GSoC 2019 [Buildbot ideas]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Mar 22 16:35:24 UTC 2019

Dear Pierre,

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 08:34, Pierre Tardy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Vue and React are the two major JS frameworks in 2018/2019. React is still the major one, probably thanks to the fact that react-native is very useful for mobile. So learning react allows you to make both webapps and mobile apps (even if you cannot really share UI code between the two frameworks)
>
> For the web, I like Vue better, recommend it and use it for all my new web projects, because I think it is easier to use, and produce less complex code for simple projects.
> I think react best practices are oriented more toward very large web apps, and using them for smaller apps is for me a waste of ressource.
> React indeed only support one way binding, and forces people to use state store like redux, which is for me very hard to use right, and requires lots of boilerplate code.
>
> On the contrary, vue.js scales better and allows you to write clean and readable code for small components, thanks to its support for two way binding.
> It is in my opinon easier for the beginner as its basic concepts are simple to comprehend, and harder to make it wrong.
> Vue still supports state store with vuex, which you can use when your app is large enough to require it.
>
> So I think vue is the best compromise between ideas from angular and ideas from react.

Thanks a lot for the very detailed and useful summary. I tried to
google a bit, but I could not get it so clearly explained for the sake
of our needs :)

> This is good for a novice web developer to have experience in both, hence I asked Rajdeep to also consider vue.
> I challenged him to adapt the boilerplate to vue, because I was impressed he was able to set up so quickly.
> So I suggested a bit harder challenge to test how far we can go in the expectations. This is fine to struggle on a challenge, or else it is not a challenge :)

Sure, I have nothing against good challenges :)
I just wanted to fully understand the direction in which you wanted to head.

> Finally, challenge aside, you may decide which framework you want to use in your project I don't want to force you :)

Personally I don't have any strong preferences yet and would trust
your judgement. As long as it's not something that needs to be
replaced after four months as that framework just got out of fashion,
I'm fine with it. I am slightly concerned about Vue's market share
compared to React, but I still lack the expertise to judge any better.
(Tcl is also a quite neat language, but it's market share is
problematic to attract new contributors to the project.)

I would like the project to add some elements specific to macports to
our local configuration, but ideally as little as possible and the
project would be done in a way that it would serve plenty of other
buildbot users, not just us. In that case it makes sense to follow
buildbot's preferences, not ours, even if we had any.

Mojca