GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 23 16:49:36 UTC 2019

> On Mar 23, 2019, at 5:45 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 at 10:35, Arjun Salyan via macports-dev wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am working on the design of tables for installation statistics. I have a doubt here:
>>
>> Suppose there is a port P. Now for number of installations of P, there are many definitions I am having in my mind:
>>
>> Number of users currently having P in active_ports/ inactive_ports. [ACTIVE INSTALLATIONS]
>
> Btw: I would ignore inactive ports (= count them as not installed).  […]

Note that you can see what statistics are being reported for your system with

/opt/local/libexec/mpstats show

You may want to direct the output to a file or text editor!

For my system, there are about 750 active ports and over 2,700 inactive ports.  For example, all 13 versions of qt5x-qtbase are included in the inactive ports.  My submission totals about 3,500 lines or 203,000 bytes.

I see no reason to report inactive ports.  Is there some value to this information that I am missing?  Presumably, eliminating the inactive ports would cut down the data traffic to about 43 kB.  If so, I think weekly reporting would be quite feasible.

The “OS” section for my system is:

  "os": {
    "macports_version": "2.5.4",
    "osx_version": "10.10",