fake azure pipeline failures

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Sat Mar 23 18:01:42 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 12:30:36PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>On Mar 23, 2019, at 04:45, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>> Also, it makes no sense the travis builds timeout - The build should not take anything close to 50mins - and again these builds seem to offer no explanation  in any log I can find as to why they timeout, i.e. what’s exactly where they doing at the time they stopped ?
>
>I agree. I do not know why more detailed logs are not being uploaded from Travis for these builds.

Our CI bot (build runner) receives complete messages from a Go channel,
so it doesn't support streaming. However unless the runner is aware of
when the build would time out (even just approximately), the best way to
provide more insight before the build gets killed (because of timeout)
is to stream the output to the Travis log, which would require some code
refactoring. I did add the empty *-start messages to indicate roughly
what the bot is doing.

BTW, in Azure Pipelines, if a build stage times out its log would become
unavailable (e.g. [1]). We can workaround this by making the runner exit
before the build times out. But of course it would be best for Microsoft
to fix this bug.

[1] https://dev.azure.com/macports/macports-ports/_build/results?buildId=601

--
Zero