Speed up trace mode (GSoC Project)

Mihir Luthra 1999mihir.luthra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 15:10:30 UTC 2019

Hi,

I had a few questions regarding Darwin trace library.

Darwintrace library being injected, most I/O operations get reimplemented.
If a “single” process is working on files, it more or less should call most
of these functions again and again.
Like that particular process may call open, rename, rmdir etc.
So lets say a process was allowed to open file “X”. (closed it too)
The same process has to do rmdir now. So it will again call
__darwintrace_is_in_sandbox().
If a file has already been checked once, that file path can be stored at a
place so that all these checks don’t need to be re-performed
and next time if the same process is calling any of these functions, it
doesn’t need to call the time taking __darwintrace_is_in_sandbox() and
should check that list of already checked files first.
This should optimise the trace mode to some extent.
Is that right or am I mistaken somewhere?