GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Mar 24 16:44:09 UTC 2019

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 at 15:28, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Our existing installation stats are, to be kind, a mess.

Which is precisely why we suggested this project: to fix what we
learned from the past mistakes. The submission process is mostly still
ok, but the database design is flawed. I'm not blaming the original
project, it's part of evolution. The major problem is that those
problems were never addressed so far, and we hope they would be in a
rewrite-from-scratch.

> I can’t recall if we ever had a design document that identified the sorts of information we wanted to capture and report.

The closest we came so far was probably last year's project,
    https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/blob/master/docs/Database_Design.md
but that is still very far from being a finished design and is still
completely lacking all the data views that we want to see.

We are now waiting for this year's proposal and evolution of the idea
based on discussion here, which would hopefully become the new "design
document".

Mojca