GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Arjun Salyan arjun.salyan.che17 at itbhu.ac.in
Sat Mar 23 17:19:44 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 7:58 PM Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at macports.org>
wrote:

> See:
>

> http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/os_statistics#os_platform
>
> It says all 239 reported platforms are Darwin.  So this appears to be the
> conglomeration of all reporting over the past several years.  This explains
> why the charts for OS X Version and MacPorts Version contain so many old
> versions.  All versions ever reported are being added together--which is
> useless.

Does this imply that the current system is reporting all os x/ macports
versions a unique user ever had?

> Note that the port ‘mpstats’ must be installed in order to report.  Thus,
> it MUST be the “top port” for the month, every month.  Not helpful
> information.

Also, since we will be already reporting the number of users who are
submitting reports, it does not make sense to include mpstats in the top
installations table.

> The top list includes items like libffi, gettext and expat.  Generally,
> these are installed as dependencies of over things that users have actually
> chosen to install.  However, we don’t capture whether a user “Requested” a
> port or not.  I would really be interested in a list of top Requested ports.

mpstats reports whether a port was requested or not, so it would be easy to
display stats for only requested ports.

I think good installation stats could help us understand our users and how
> they are using MacPorts.  I can’t recall if we ever had a design document
> that identified the sorts of information we wanted to capture and report.

I will try to come up with an initial design of how and what can be
reported and then we could brainstorm to reach somewhere.

Thank You