GSoC - Android Application for all Ports

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Mar 24 19:02:15 UTC 2019

Dear Ravi,

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 13:13, Ravi Rathee wrote:

> Is it possible to make an android application similar to a web application with all the ports information and all the details. Similar to last years GSoC project but on Android.

While it is definitely possible to make one, its purpose is not
exactly clear to me.

A major part of the effort to make the web app possible should go into
collecting data from various sources, and those data could not and
should not be collected on each individual phone, so basically one
still needs a central server, which has the exact same information as
the web app.

The only thing that would be different for the Android app (you would
still need the same server part) would be the frontend, however:
- A well-designed responsive website should work fine on a phone (even
the demo app from one student this year works nicely on a phone).
- I'm not one of those, but I expect that many Mac addicts want to use an iPhone
- In case of MacPorts statistics I personally fail to see any real
benefit of having a native Android app over a well-designed website.
What would such an app even do?

I could imagine the added benefit of having a native app on a Mac,
which would come with an "Install this port" button, list outdated
ports and let you update them, submit tickets for failed installations

But maybe I just didn't understand what you tried to suggest.

Mojca