GSoC Proposal

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 21:29:51 UTC 2019

Dear Karan,

Warmly welcome to the MacPorts community!

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 20:36, KARAN SHETH via macports-dev wrote:

> Hey there,
>     I would like to start by saying this is not GSoC Proposal as the
> subject says but I had no idea what else to call it. This is just to make
> contact with you regarding a GSoC Project idea that I would really like to
> do.
>
>     My name is Karan Sheth. I have attached a doc link wherein all the
> personal info and a small bio (I didn't know how big it was needed, sorry
> if it's of improper size) and the rough project goal, the abstract is
> written.
>

>    I am extremely sorry for establishing contact soo late and I know there
> should be no excuse but I was occupied by college exams and other team
> activities wherein we organize workshops to teach others. I think I would
> be a perfect fit for this project cause of my experience with scraping and
> making apps in Django and Flask.
>
>    I would love to hear back from you regarding where should I start
> contributing to the project and how should I go about in making my final
> proposal, I know I am late to this but I assure you I will try my best to
> do any task very fast and properly.

You are not too late just yet, but the more time you have, the easier it is
to make a good proposal.

The first step you should make is to carefully read the mailing list
archive from both last year (from GSOC application period up to GSOC
beginning) and this year. We've provided a lot of information for this
project in particular as two students already asked about it, and some
started working on the demo projects already.

What we want you to do is to prove us that you are capable of carrying out
the project through the summer and make an outstanding contribution. For
that we would like to both see some of your code, as well as a detailed
plan of how to carry out the project.

Regarding the code: you can either build some demo from scratch, or improve
one of the three existing attempts of proof-of-concept apps (upgrading
would be better, but if there are too many problems, feel free to start
from scratch). Show us how your work would excel when applied to MacPorts.
Another smaller challenge could be to create a Portfile for Buildbot 2.1,
to assist us in faster migration, as that would also be needed / helpful
for communication between the app and buildbot. Or anything else to aid
with a better application later.

(Another option for a project in Python would be bringing universal
packaging tool [1] to MacPorts.)

Mojca

[1] https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/package_software_with_upt/

> Thanks,
> Karan Sheth.
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gFP3pUIVnto9JlqT03X6JHMFzbbd-wqUuhxIAYbyiZg/edit?usp=sharing

Personal biography is probably ok, but the proposal itself is completely
missing, so there is not much that I could comment on, other than my plea
to take a slightly better care of grammar. It doesn't have to be perfect
English, but at least taking care of spacing (usually there is no space
before punctuation etc.) and even such trivial stuff as trying to use
capital "I" instead of the lowercase one when referring to yourself make
quite a difference. We'll be nitpicking about the code a lot, and this is
the first step ;)