GSoC Proposal

KARAN SHETH karan.sheth at somaiya.edu
Tue Mar 26 17:15:27 UTC 2019

Hey Mojca,

Thanks for replying.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 3:00 AM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> Dear Karan,
>
> Warmly welcome to the MacPorts community!
>
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 20:36, KARAN SHETH via macports-dev wrote:
>
>> Hey there,
>>     I would like to start by saying this is not GSoC Proposal as the
>> subject says but I had no idea what else to call it. This is just to make
>> contact with you regarding a GSoC Project idea that I would really like to
>> do.
>>
>>     My name is Karan Sheth. I have attached a doc link wherein all the
>> personal info and a small bio (I didn't know how big it was needed, sorry
>> if it's of improper size) and the rough project goal, the abstract is
>> written.
>>

>>    I am extremely sorry for establishing contact soo late and I know
>> there should be no excuse but I was occupied by college exams and other
>> team activities wherein we organize workshops to teach others. I think I
>> would be a perfect fit for this project cause of my experience with
>> scraping and making apps in Django and Flask.
>>
>>    I would love to hear back from you regarding where should I start
>> contributing to the project and how should I go about in making my final
>> proposal, I know I am late to this but I assure you I will try my best to
>> do any task very fast and properly.
>>

> You are not too late just yet, but the more time you have, the easier it
> is to make a good proposal.
>
> The first step you should make is to carefully read the mailing list
> archive from both last year (from GSOC application period up to GSOC
> beginning) and this year. We've provided a lot of information for this
> project in particular as two students already asked about it, and some
> started working on the demo projects already.

As suggested I went through the past archives and found three projects :

1) From last year by Vishnu.
2) From this year by Arjun Salyan
*.*
3) From this year by Rajdeep Bharati.

> What we want you to do is to prove us that you are capable of carrying out
> the project through the summer and make an outstanding contribution. For
> that we would like to both see some of your code, as well as a detailed
> plan of how to carry out the project.
>
> Regarding the code: you can either build some demo from scratch, or
> improve one of the three existing attempts of proof-of-concept apps
> (upgrading would be better, but if there are too many problems, feel free
> to start from scratch). Show us how your work would excel when applied to
> MacPorts.
> Another smaller challenge could be to create a Portfile for Buildbot 2.1,
> to assist us in faster migration, as that would also be needed / helpful
> for communication between the app and buildbot. Or anything else to aid
> with a better application later.

I plan on starting out with making a demo app for which I will either build
upon last year's project or start from scratch and draw inspiration for the
design from both the projects (If it's fine).
Once the dynamic app is done, I will try making the Portfile for Buildbot
2.1 but I guess I will need a bit of help here.

> (Another option for a project in Python would be bringing universal
> packaging tool [1] to MacPorts.)

I looked in to this option and it looks very exciting, this is what I have
understood so far about bringing upt to MacPorts :
- A UPT-Frontend and Backend will have to be created for macports.
So the Frontend will take the Portfile from macports and convert it using
UPT.
But my doubt is, what is the UPT-Backend in this case, I know it should be
MacOS but like in the example given on UPT repo its converts json from PYPI
into Guix Pxg Definition.
So same way, what would UPT do in case of Macports?
I may be completely wrong here as I have no prior knowledge about UPT.

Mojca

> [1] https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/package_software_with_upt/
>

>> Thanks,
>> Karan Sheth.
>>

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gFP3pUIVnto9JlqT03X6JHMFzbbd-wqUuhxIAYbyiZg/edit?usp=sharing
>>

> Personal biography is probably ok, but the proposal itself is completely
> missing, so there is not much that I could comment on, other than my plea
> to take a slightly better care of grammar. It doesn't have to be perfect
> English, but at least taking care of spacing (usually there is no space
> before punctuation etc.) and even such trivial stuff as trying to use
> capital "I" instead of the lowercase one when referring to yourself make
> quite a difference. We'll be nitpicking about the code a lot, and this is
> the first step ;)
>
> I will be adding the milestones, Timeline, Stretch Goals, etc. later, once
I am familiar with the overall project and deploy the demo app, if that's
fine.
I will try to improve my language.

Now seeing that I have two choices - first to continue making the django
app or to make upt, I will first look into UPT after my doubts raised above
have been clarified and then decide which route to take.

Thanks,
Karan Sheth

--

 <https://www.somaiya.edu>        <http://www.somaiya-ayurvihar.org>