Speed up trace mode (GSoC Project)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Mar 27 16:51:52 UTC 2019

Dear Mihir,

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 17:25, Mihir Luthra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have shared my draft application from the GSoC dashboard.
> Please provide me with feedbacks. :)

Please note again that I'm not familiar with the contents at all, so
I'm providing just some general feedback.

What I miss a bit is some clear definition of deliverables, what
pieces of code would be suitable enough for merging them into base and
when.

Background: One of the problems with many earlier projects with
macports base was that a student was working all summer in his own
branch, waiting for the code to be "complete and well-tested", and the
code was subsequently never merged into the trunk / master, or maybe
it's still considered useful, just not 100% polished, and some members
still plan to clean up and merge the code as old as 10 years. On the
other hand, if the code ends up in the master branch early and some
issues are discovered, they would still be fixed. If the code lies in
its own branch, it doesn't get nearly as much testing and might get
forgotten.

Of course you cannot always merge immediately, as some pieces might
need a bigger pile of code at once to produce something useful without
breaking stuff. But it would be very helpful if some code could be
merged into master at least once per week. If you could split it into
smaller reasonable chunks, it would be even better to do this on an
almost daily basis when possible (it's still ok to have two weeks of
some bigger feature rework in the meantime).

And please try to find a way to try to contribute some patches, docs,
bugfixes ... to the MacPorts base in the near future. Maybe you could
write some unit tests for the base related to the trace mode? Talk to
Marcus or Clemens about some challenges if you fail to find some
yourself.

> Also, should I share the link to document here as well?

Yes, that would definitely make sense.

Mojca