Speed up trace mode (GSoC Project)

Mihir Luthra 1999mihir.luthra at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 18:37:20 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:22 PM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> Dear Mihir,
>
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 17:25, Mihir Luthra wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have shared my draft application from the GSoC dashboard.
> > Please provide me with feedbacks. :)
>
> Please note again that I'm not familiar with the contents at all, so
> I'm providing just some general feedback.
>
> What I miss a bit is some clear definition of deliverables, what
> pieces of code would be suitable enough for merging them into base and
> when.
>
> Background: One of the problems with many earlier projects with
> macports base was that a student was working all summer in his own
> branch, waiting for the code to be "complete and well-tested", and the
> code was subsequently never merged into the trunk / master, or maybe
> it's still considered useful, just not 100% polished, and some members
> still plan to clean up and merge the code as old as 10 years. On the
> other hand, if the code ends up in the master branch early and some
> issues are discovered, they would still be fixed. If the code lies in
> its own branch, it doesn't get nearly as much testing and might get
> forgotten.
>
> Of course you cannot always merge immediately, as some pieces might
> need a bigger pile of code at once to produce something useful without
> breaking stuff. But it would be very helpful if some code could be
> merged into master at least once per week. If you could split it into
> smaller reasonable chunks, it would be even better to do this on an
> almost daily basis when possible (it's still ok to have two weeks of
> some bigger feature rework in the meantime).

Thanks for the feedback Mojca. ^_^.

That definitely makes sense.
Clemens told me to work on trie, ctrie or related data structures in his
last mail.
Most likely till weekend I will understand how to relate the main code with
these data structs and plan where to place the desired functions.
Will also try to break in the smallest chunks possible. ^_^

> And please try to find a way to try to contribute some patches, docs,
> bugfixes ... to the MacPorts base in the near future. Maybe you could
> write some unit tests for the base related to the trace mode? Talk to
> Marcus or Clemens about some challenges if you fail to find some
> yourself.

I made a contribution, not a big one though, day before yesterday I guess
.Here is the link:
 https://github.com/macports/macports-base/pull/117

And I am working on docs already, I will share them too till the weekend.
Hope those docs proof helpful :)

I will give a research on unit test task and see the best I can do right
now. ^_^

Till now what I saw the code in each file works in conjunction with many
others file, so while trying to fix bugs or adding patches right now I may
cause more bugs, but I will try to contribute patches as soon as I can. :)

> > Also, should I share the link to document here as well?
>
> Yes, that would definitely make sense.

Here is the link to my draft proposal.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qH5VMtrQ3tvd5gFPf51lmJtd6dYfUuEmO1AvXmU_4qM/edit#heading=h.tal46x1pbsaj

Please provide with any more feedbacks where ever possible. ^_^

Regards,

Mihir