Speed up trace mode (GSoC Project)

Mihir Luthra 1999mihir.luthra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 17:43:35 UTC 2019

Hi there,

I had a question.
Before the build, dependencies are checked.
Enabling trace mode hides incompatible versions of the current software
being installed or the versions installed by other package managers and
more such.
The injected darwintrace.dylib will replace file operations if needed to be
hidden.
But I don’t exactly understand which “processes” call those file operations
and exactly when. Like some examples of such processes?
And how is this lookup being done that arises the need for trace mode? Is
it just because of autoconf of gnu? And if yes, can’t that autoconf be
changed? I am not very sure about this.

I feel this question won’t concern much with the project I am working on
maybe because my working area is darwintrace and tracelib where I am just
acting on the basis of data provided about the process pid or thread tid
variables.
But still not very sure.

Regards,
Mihir