GSoC 2019 [Make Blacklisting MacPorts Compilers Easier]

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Sun Mar 31 07:37:32 UTC 2019

Greetings.

Learning Tcl should not be too difficult, especially since you are already familiar with other languages.
The GSoC website has a link to a Tcl tutorial [1].

What constitutes “low hanging fruit” depends on your experience level with MacPorts.
Do you own a Mac?
Have you used MacPorts before?

For the most part, the project you propose would involve modifying the compiler_blacklist_versions PortGroup [2].
If the word PortGroup is new to you, you might want to read through the MacPorts documentation [3].

If you are eager to jump right in to MacPorts development, you could attempt to take an “orphaned port” and update it.
If you run `port livecheck maintainer:nomaintainer`, you will find a great number of ports which are out of date or whose livecheck is broken.
You could then attempt a fix and submit a pull request [4].

If this has not answered your question, please feel free to ask for clarification.

-Marcus

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Whatyoushoulddobeforehandinginanapplication
[2] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/compiler_blacklist_versions-1.0.tcl
[3] https://guide.macports.org