Speed up trace mode (GSoC Project)

Mihir Luthra 1999mihir.luthra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 17:21:10 UTC 2019

Hi there,

@Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org>  As I told you before, I will be
documenting trace mode alongside with understanding it,
I have been working on that

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15cVbH6f6hBr9HryJEHUZEbRsToN1BAjY8My-oRstO9A/edit#heading=h.oby3p7ljhsu

Sorry I told you I will get it done by the end of week but I am still stuck
on understanding some internals of server side trace mode. I have mailed
doubts on mailing lists and I guess soon Clemens will help me with those.
Right now I will complete the documentation of client side and arrange the
above documents in a better understandable way within a few hours.
Maybe after all that you can tell me the right place to put these or maybe
if its not in correct way, please let me know.

Also, I think I can make sort of a demo for this project, but I dunno if it
would be a good enough to prove the skills.
@Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org>
Demo would be kind of like replicating functionality of client side trace
mode in a 2 process program also with 2 threads which call functions like
open, close etc(which I will replace by my own implementations by a library
with dyld_insert_libraries). For their sandbox bounds I will pass my own
arguments and try mapping memory with a file using Ctrie which will be
checked before sandbox bounds function.
Most probably I will deliver this demo in 3-4 days.

And please consider giving a look to the draft
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qH5VMtrQ3tvd5gFPf51lmJtd6dYfUuEmO1AvXmU_4qM/edit#heading=h.9cfgiuh00i0k

I have made some changes in technical details “problem” & “solutions” and I
have correctly specified right deliverables for first evaluation.
If this way is correct, I may proceed the same way for second and final
evals.
Currently, ctrie seemed the best implementation for checking a path,
although, if I get more time before submission data I will try the best to
look for even better alternative if possible.

Regards,
Mihir