Errors when changing cmake build directory

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu May 2 20:12:52 UTC 2019

Hi Fred - My thoughts follow. This will likely be my only reply to your post or reply here since it's heading toward being off-topic & honestly comes down much more to personal preference than any technical requirement; it's more along the lines of a "culture war" such as "Mac versus PC", "iPhone versus Android" and the like. Each side has benefits and drawbacks; neither side is entirely in the right nor in the wrong. There is very little point in flaming such wars.

(1) CMake and in-source versus out-of-source:

In my opinion you're not correct: CMake itself is build-location agnostic; it does not default to in-source builds. Individual projects may choose to provide just in-source building, but in my experience the vast majority of projects that use CMake for building can be built in-source or out-of-source.

When one issues the "cmake" command, the final argument is the directory containing the top-level CMakeLists.txt file in the source to be built; this directory can be relative (e.g., ".", or ".."), or absolute (e.g., "/path/to/top/level/cmakelist_txt/dir/"). Modern and recent CMake itself is agnostic as to whether one builds in-source or out-of-source; such CMake has no default either way, whether explicit or implicit. NOTE: I do think that -very old- CMake maybe did require in-source builds, but we're talking version 1 or maybe early version 2 -- many years ago!

In my many years of using CMake (since sometime in mid-version 2), CMake has worked for both in-source and out-of-source builds quite robustly; the CMake scripting required to make it work both ways is nominally different than requiring in-source builds. Some projects wrote their original CMake scripts with in-source in mind, and have never bothered to update their CMake scripts to allow for out-of-source builds. The vast majority of projects that I've ever heard of or experienced that use CMake work with out-of-source builds, whether because the CMake scripts were originally written in the generic build location style, or because they were fixed to allow building either way.

(2) cmake PG settings:

The default cmake 1.1 PG settings are for out-of-source builds: yes! But, one can in any individual Portfile change this setting quite easily or just use the cmake 1.0 PG, which defaults to in-source builds (with the option of doing out-of-source builds if set specifically in the Portfile using this PG). v1.1 is more robust overall, but v1.0 is probably plenty sufficient for many ports.

(3) benefit of cmake out-of-source builds:

The benefit of out-of-source builds is negligible in the MP environment: true if you're just an end-user! I tend to believe that most MP users just want MP to work, whether compiling from source or installing via a pre-built archive. CMake out-of-source builds are meaningless from this perspective.

That said, to get ports to the point where they install and work robustly, the out-of-source build is a convenience for developers who are doing the work to get ports to this point. I have scripts that allow me to manipulate project source code as provided via "port work", e.g., to create a top-level temporary GIT repo so that I can easily get "diff"s to what's changed & then create a patch for those changes; I can tweak the build scripts and actual code to be compiled until it works in the ways I deem robust. Having an out-of-source build means I can just "rm -rf" the build directory and restart the build from scratch. One can, of course, "make clean" whether building in-source or out-of-source but that may or not do the trick depending on how well the CMake scripts keep track of build or modified files; "rm -rf" is -very- reliable at cleaning the build!

---

Cheers! - MLD