Slack-like chat (also for GSOC)

Ruben Di Battista rubendibattista at gmail.com
Thu May 16 11:31:27 UTC 2019

I would like to stress once again about Matrix.

If we setup Matrix, we can bridge the channels with whatever service you
might need. First of all IRC, so people that like to keep hanging out there
can still do it with the additional benefits of having more people to talk
with.

These other people would access the same chat stream from whatever client
they want to (we might need to setup self hosted bridges for them...). That
means potentially you can have bridges from Gitter, Rocket.Chat, Slack or
even WhatsApp if you like so, altogether working bijectively.

I would strongly consider it since this way we are not stuck with a
specific service but you can merge them together if you wish so...

I would propose to setup a Matrix community for Macports and bridge its
channels with the IRC ones. This does not need any self hosting capability.

As a step two we might also want to experiment with the Gitter bridge since
someone else already configured a channel there...

What do you think?