Slack-like chat (also for GSOC)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu May 16 17:20:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 13:31, Ruben Di Battista wrote:

> I would like to stress once again about Matrix.
>
> If we setup Matrix, we can bridge the channels with whatever service you might need. First of all IRC, so people that like to keep hanging out there can still do it with the additional benefits of having more people to talk with.

If either you or someone else is willing to set it up (for testing, to
start with), by all means feel free to do so and we can play with it
and see how it works.

Umesh set up a gitter account under macports-gsoc
(https://gitter.im/macports-gsoc/), but simply because we don't have
privileges to access the main org. If we figure out that gitter works
well, we would hopefully move it under "macports" directly.

> These other people would access the same chat stream from whatever client they want to (we might need to setup self hosted bridges for them...). That means potentially you can have bridges from Gitter, Rocket.Chat, Slack or even WhatsApp if you like so, altogether working bijectively.
>
> I would strongly consider it since this way we are not stuck with a specific service but you can merge them together if you wish so...
>
> I would propose to setup a Matrix community for Macports and bridge its channels with the IRC ones. This does not need any self hosting capability.
>
> As a step two we might also want to experiment with the Gitter bridge since someone else already configured a channel there...
>
> What do you think?

I'm in favour of trying it out, experiment a bit, and then decide
about the best option, and make it "official" once we know what we
want and what works.

Mojca