Advice for Boost CMake scripts

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Fri May 24 14:06:27 UTC 2019

Thanks for the info, Ryan. That's really interesting that the Boost powers-that-be don't think such a critical error in boost::beast to not require a quick rev-bump. They could fix their broken CMake find scripts at the same time! Grrr ....

I'm really of mixed mind about patching Boost beyond anything to make it work on OSX && in MacPorts ... right now, just the 2 patches required for Beast and the CMake find scripts, which are both already upstream. Projects need Boost to be as same-same across OS installs as possible.

I'm currently at: If Boost builds with a built-in bug, projects need to find a way to work around that bug for any specific Boost version(s) impacted. I don't necessarily believe this for other projects, but Boost is special & impacts so many projects, that keeping it as honest as possible across OSs / installs seems like the right way to go.

Hence, at least for the Boost CMake scripts, my inclination is to add a non-default variant that installs them, and add NOTE to that variant when enabled that the scripts are broken & that this variant is really just for fixing dependent projects to work with the broken scripts. This Portfile addition is very straight forward && how I have my internal-for-testing Boost setup: 2 different installs that can be hot-swapped via "port activate" ... 1 with the scripts & the other without them. A lot redundant but it's easy & works well.

Further thoughts? - MLD