Packaging buildbot-www

Rajdeep Bharati rajdeepbharati13 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 10:11:26 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 2:39 PM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> Dear Rajdeep,
>
> [Removing the -users mailing list as regular users should not be
> concerned with ugly implementation details of MacPorts :), and CC-ing
> Karan, Renee & Cyril.]
>
> On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 08:56, Rajdeep Bharati wrote:
> >
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > I am packaging buildbot 2.x as a port. However, a key part of buildbot 2
> is the web interface, buildbot-www, which uses many javascript dependencies
> (those aren't available as MacPorts packages yet). Please find the attached
> image which shows the dependencies.
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CnjcmMvd4fsXtJqhjrTRGVC0Rfn2s9gW/view
> >
> >  Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 11.36.55 AM.png
> >
> > What would be the right way to package this? Would it be a python port?
> > Would it be better to package all of the above JS libraries?
> >
> > It would be great if someone could throw some light on this.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Rajdeep
>
> If I didn't make an "OCR error" myself, here's the list of packages in
> plain text:
> jquery, angular, angular-animate, angular-bootstrap,
> angular-ui-router, angular-recursion, loadash, guanlecoja-ui, moment,
> d3, font-awesome, bootstrap, buildbot-data,
> angular-bootstrap-multiselect
>
> I'm not entirely sure about the best strategy either. It would
> definitely make sense to check what other distributions are doing and
> also get recommendations from buildbot developers. I'm pretty sure
> that FreeBSD, Debian, RedHat etc. all package buildbot and it would
> make sense to check what package dependencies they declare / what
> files the packages install.

As you can see in the freebsd implementation:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/py-buildbot-www/Makefile?revision=501623&view=markup
They have specified the pip dependencies only (although I don't know how
freshports works internally)

> I would say that it sounds acceptable to install those dependencies on
> the fly and mention installation instructions in port notes as the
> first step (I'm just not sure where to install those files). I would
> like to avoid you having to waste too much time trying to get all of
> the javascript dependencies in place instead of spending some
> productive time fixing bugs and implementing new functionality in
> buildbot. Porting buildbot itself is one thing, dealing with a lot of
> other unrelated dependencies something else, and one thing that we
> already struggled with in the past, not being quite sure what
> precisely to do.
>
> On the other hand, this potentially sounds like a good real-world test
> case for Karan who already wrote both npm backend for upt and the
> macports frontend. I'm not sure how mature that code is and what Karan
> is currently working on, but it might be worth trying it out.
> (The following is meant more as a joke, I know that we don't have
> nearly sufficient information available, but ideal upt
> frontend/backend would already take care of all the dependency hell
> and automatically declare & create also the javascript dependencies
> for buildbot :) :) :)
>
> Mojca

The portfiles that I have written (using the awesome upt-macports tool) are
analogous to
freshports https://www.freshports.org/devel/py-buildbot
https://www.freshports.org/devel/py-buildbot-pkg
https://www.freshports.org/devel/py-buildbot-worker
But the py-buildbot-www Portfile doesn't work in the desired manner since
the JS dependencies
haven't been installed.