Interested in contributing to macports

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Sun Nov 10 09:31:58 UTC 2019

Hi Gaurav,

Welcome to The MacPorts Project!

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:01 AM Gaurav Punjabi
<gaurav.bpunjabi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, I'm Gaurav Punjabi. I'm currently pursuing a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. I'm interested in contributing to MacPorts. But I'm a little bit confused on where to start.

Do you already have MacPorts installed on your computer? Also, do you
have a MacOS system or Linux ?

You can either start with contributing to the core behind macports
i.e., macports-base[1] or add/update existing portfiles (recipes to
install packages) i.e., macports-ports[2].

To get started with contributing to macports-base, we have an
introductory video[3] which will explain about the codebase very well.

To jump into creating or working on existing portfile, our guide on
portfile development[4] is a good starting point. You may also read
existing portfile in our macports-ports repository[2].

There are also web app[5] and buildbot[6] based projects you may look into.
And if interested in something more, we have Universal Packaging Tool
based project[7]

Hope this gets you started and help in making your first contribution
to MacPorts :)

Links:
[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-base/
[2] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/