libraw libstdc++ advice please

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 20:24:57 UTC 2019

while tracking down an openmp issue in ImageMagick that appears to have been due to fopenmp flags in libraw <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59610 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59610>> , we stumbled across the fact that libraw had a hard link to libstdc++ in it’s pkgconfig files. I removed that while doing other things, thinking it was just bitrot from the last decade, as the proper c++ standard library is selected by the cxx compiler.

But the libraw dev says that even when building C code, libraw indeed needs to link against a c++ standard library for a few functions <https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/issues/248 <https://github.com/LibRaw/LibRaw/issues/248>> so that’s why it has the hardcoded link.

So that will not automatically be done by clang when building C code, of course.

To my moderate surprise, I see Catalina still has /usr/lib/libstdc++.dylib

So the question:

reinstate libraw’s hard link against libstdc++.dylib and move on, OR  set the pkgconfig files to link against the configure.cxx_stdlib at the time libraw is being installed (and hope that works out for whatever is building something that is using the libraw pkgconfig files).

Or some better idea?

thx.

Ken