RFC: MacPorts policy should be that docs should not be built or installed by default

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Fri Sep 20 16:43:13 UTC 2019

* Ken Cunningham:

> I bet almost nobody ever looks at them, much less uses them.

Well, I certainly do. On any UNIX-like system I expect at least man-
pages for every installed command line utilty, configuration file, etc.

Having locally installed docs is a requirement for working offline. I
know from personal experience that building documentation is sometimes a
burden, depending on how "creative" the author chose the formats, but
man-pages and/or HTML should be possible.

Gentoo Linux package maintainers (such as myself) are expected to
include documentation if at all possible. By means of the "docs" USE-
flag, users can then choose whether or not to have the documentation
built/installed.

-Ralph