RFC: MacPorts policy should be that docs should not be built or installed by default

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 20 23:38:27 UTC 2019

On Sep 19, 2019, at 23:40, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> the documentation that comes along with many ports often seems like a heavy and arguably needless burden:

> I vote we expect ports to not include anything but a few man pages. Everything else should be either left out, or an optional variant. A note where the website is for documentation in the port notes would be more than sufficient.

Ports should always install manpages, license files, read me's, other small text files.

Larger documentation sets like pdfs, big collections of html files, things that need to be generated with pandoc or docbook or similar, or documentation in a separate download file should be in a separate (portname)-docs subport if possible.

Before subports existed, it was common to have a +docs variant to do that. These should be converted to (portname)-docs subports if possible.

Some build systems may make it difficult to build the docs separately from the main program but we should try to make it possible.