Publishing links to non-encrypted websites for MacPorts downloads

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Sep 26 05:04:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 06:26, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2019, at 00:43, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > I already mentioned this in the past, but I would like to repeat.
> > When someone opens our homepage and wants to download MacPorts using
> > Safari on, say, 10.6, the download link from GitHub doesn't work, and
> > it's not trivial for users to find out the alternative link
> > (http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/).
> >
> > Could we please publish both links to download MacPorts on our homepage?
>
> When Joshua releases a new version, he tags the release on GitHub and uploads the files there, and switches the links on our web site to point to GitHub. When I download the files to our distfiles server, I switch the links on the web site back to our distfiles server. Is that not sufficient?

I ended up navigating to
    https://www.macports.org/install.php#installing
which points to
    https://github.com/macports/macports-base/releases/download/v2.6.0/MacPorts-2.6.0-10.6-SnowLeopard.pkg
which doesn't work on 10.6 without some additional software being
installed first.

Now, the file is already at
    http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-2.6.0-10.6-SnowLeopard.pkg
which I remembered from the last time, but I don't see any link to it
(I'm not saying there's not one, but if it is, it's definitely not
obvious to users).

Mojca

(PS: we need a big visible Download button on the first page at some point ...)