Publishing links to non-encrypted websites for MacPorts downloads

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 26 05:19:32 UTC 2019

On Sep 26, 2019, at 00:04, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 06:26, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 25, 2019, at 00:43, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> I already mentioned this in the past, but I would like to repeat.
>>> When someone opens our homepage and wants to download MacPorts using
>>> Safari on, say, 10.6, the download link from GitHub doesn't work, and
>>> it's not trivial for users to find out the alternative link
>>> (http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/).
>>>
>>> Could we please publish both links to download MacPorts on our homepage?
>>
>> When Joshua releases a new version, he tags the release on GitHub and uploads the files there, and switches the links on our web site to point to GitHub. When I download the files to our distfiles server, I switch the links on the web site back to our distfiles server. Is that not sufficient?
>
> I ended up navigating to
>    https://www.macports.org/install.php#installing
> which points to
>    https://github.com/macports/macports-base/releases/download/v2.6.0/MacPorts-2.6.0-10.6-SnowLeopard.pkg
> which doesn't work on 10.6 without some additional software being
> installed first.
>
> Now, the file is already at
>    http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-2.6.0-10.6-SnowLeopard.pkg
> which I remembered from the last time, but I don't see any link to it
> (I'm not saying there's not one, but if it is, it's definitely not
> obvious to users).

It's because I fail at git again. I pushed the change to my fork instead of the main repo. I've pushed it to the main repo now.

https://github.com/macports/macports-www/commit/193a51cfd22e431996e860d35829a5ea59df14b4

> (PS: we need a big visible Download button on the first page at some point ...)

There's a download button at the top right of every page.

Yes, we need to redesign the web site. I believe you already showed me somebody else's redesign, which looked good.